Pages

Saturday 29 September 2012

The Last Shot

The camera was starting to feel heavy around my neck, it had been a long day and the light was starting to go. I would have to call it a day soon. I had a few shots left on the film and was desperate to get them used up before the light went completely. People were still milling round, ending their busy days shopping or working. One group over loaded with huge branded shopping bags, the other trudging towards the station appearing unsure of whether they would rather be going home or back to work.

I was just passing a small square park near the station when I saw him. The park was bordered by a low iron railing and was so small you could see clear across the park to the bustle of commuters barging past each other on the other side. Amidst all of this chaos the park seemed like an oasis of calm and sat on one of the two simple wooden benches was an old man. He was sat there with a large newspaper open in front of him, I couldn’t tell if he was reading it or just watching the stream of bodies flood around him, waiting for the waters to subside before embarking on his own journey home.


I circled the park carefully guessing the distances and setting the focus on my camera. he would probably notice but not before I had clicked the shutter. When everything was prepared I walked through the gated entrance at one side of the park and followed the path towards the old man. As I got closer I held the camera in my hand and got ready to take the shot. There were low bushes around the edge of the park, their autumnal shades made me wish I had put a colour film in the camera this morning. I was only a few feet away when I brought the camera to my eye and took the shot. The Old man didn’t seem to notice, the near silent shutter closing and sealing his image against the film. The old man slumped down on the bench, his limbs becoming limp, the paper flopping open across his lap and slipping to the floor.

The shot taken, I slipped the camera back into my jacket and headed out of the other side of the park towards the station. It was still rush hour but I felt I had the shot that would make the days shooting worthwhile and was keen to get back to my dark room to see how it would turn out. I glanced back at the park briefly before the swarm of drones carried me down the steps into the station. The man was still there at the bench unmoving, staring into infinity across the park.


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this story. In fact I read it several times over because it had a certain haunting quality about it. It was beautifully descriptive but also quite hardhitting at the end.

    ReplyDelete